Monday, May 30, 2011

Dining Out: Scallops and Risotto!

Last week was the first night that Sarah, Vanessa and I were all home to enjoy dinner together outside on our new porch table.  Vanessa picked up some sea scallops, thinking that Sarah would not be home (she keeps kosher).  It was no problem, however, because Sarah had some leftover risotto from a previous night out with her parents.  Her risotto looked so good, that I decided to make some for everyone.

My Two Pretty Housemates
Our First Dinner Together on The Porch

It was truly a lovely night - made all the better because it followed what had been an unrelenting slew of rainy days.  The temperature was around 70 degrees, the garden looked beautiful, and the sun was still out.  It was so great to be eating dinner outside!

For supper, I pan seared the scallops with salt and pepper, finishing them with a little lemon juice.  I served them on top of some arugula, with some steamed broccoli.  The risotto that I made was simple enough; with green peas, diced vidalia onion, fresh parsley from my herb garden, and gruyere cheese.  I cooked it in chicken stock and vermouth.  When everything was done, I drizzled the whole plate with aged balsamic vinegar.  To drink we finished a bottle of Gruner Weltliner, an Austrian wine that Vanessa developed an affinity for last year in Vienna.

Seared Sea Scallops with Arugula and Gruyere Green Pea Risotto
Drizzled with Aged Balsamic Vinegar
with Steamed Broccoli

After dinner, we all hopped in my car and went out for ice cream!  We went to a place in Wilton that Sarah likes, and that Vanessa and I had never tried, called Scoops.  Pretty good ice cream, very cute place, really bad chunky hot fudge, but what can you do?  It was nice to have an evening outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment